Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Try to seperate yourself from the rest!

   Ok so as I have posted I am working in a brand new barbershop which really is what is leading me to write tonight. This is not about me but this is about all of us barbers out there who are working hard to build a reputations for ourselves as professionals and not just "haircutters"

    So I went to the yellowpages.com website and looked up barbershops in 3 random cities and this is what i found on the first two pages of the site:
  1.       Long beach,CA 53 barbershops
  2.       Sacramneto,CA 55 barbershops
  3.       Dallas,TX          53 barbershops
Ok so this was not the most scientific research known to man but when you look through the phone book and see what I saw when I used the yellow pages website it is an idea of what the average customer sees when they open a the book looking for a barber. The truth is most people find there barber in two ways either word of mouth or they have seen the same barber for years.

    In Long Beach there are several barbershops that I personally know of because of the reputation they have developed for themselves. So here is my question to you, what seperates you from the rest of the shops and barbers in your community?

    The truth is I think this question is a little more difficult then you would think it would be. There are so many things you have to look at when answering this question.
  1. The Shop- How does your shop reflect you? Is your shop clean or do you and your barbers stand in piles of hair between haircuts? This is important becuase I know for myself I hate going into a shop that is dirty and looks like no one ever cleans up.
  2. The Service- Do you do a quick haircut and get them out the door or are you working hard to give your customers a good service and  a reason to come back. Please remember the haircut needs to reflect the service.
  3. The Specialty- I heard a story about an old barber that when the 60's hit and everyone started growing there hair long he had to figure something out to keep his shop going. It was at this point he became know for his "Mac Curtis" aka flat top with fenders. Find something and get good at it. let your name be synonymous with that haircut. It is part of branding yourself.
  4. Marketing- What are you doing to get your name out there.....Take advantage of your neighborhood. Cross marketing with other local business can do wonders just make sure you are working with the right business. Are you using Facebook, Foursquare, Twitter...etc. Social Networking/social media is one of the most important tools around.
      Listen I am not a business mogul but these are just a few observations I have made in just my own experiences and seeing other barbers and barbershops. Give me your opinion and let us know what you are doing to separate yourself from the rest of the pack!!

No comments:

Post a Comment