Saturday, September 22, 2012

5 Days of Pomade-Day 5: Jan Hella-The Rebel Rouser

 (So when deciding who I wanted to give us there top 5 list I knew that Jan Hella (barber student extraordinaire and in charge of www.theRebelRouser.com). I knew asking him I was not going to get a list but a full blog post, since that is how we roll! I really want to thank everyone who was involved in this, it has been a blast!)

    Since the start of www.TheRebelRouser.com, people from all over the world have asked me "what's your favorite pomade?" Unfortunately, I don't have one! With the wide variety we currently have on the market, as well as up and coming brands, it's hard to pick a favorite. Throughout the duration of blogging, I've learned to make certain pomades work best for me, more-so than the others. So, here's my Top 5 Go-To Pomades:
(In no particular order.)

1) Dax High & Tight Awesome Hold: A lot of people have somewhat turned away from the heavier pomades; me included. So when I tried Dax High & Tight Awesome Hold for the first time, I knew I found my preferred alternative to their strongest pomade- Dax Wave & Groom- which used to be my definite go-to, when I as looking for hold. Being just a kick lighter, a lot more malleable, with a killer Sandalwood scent to boot, Dax High & Tight Awesome Hold is a great addition to anyone's arsenal, and can be found at www.ImperialDax.com

2) Mr. Ducktail: If the name doesn't sound familiar, you probably haven't been doing this for too long. But, no worries, that's what we're here for! Long story short, Mr. Ducktail is an amazing barber from France, that has moved shop to England, and still has cult following, for his barbering & styling skills, as well as his pomade! His grease is a medium weight pomade, that is seemingly lighter than most, but still manages to style amazing pompadours, as seen on his Facebook page. Plus, it smells like a cola, how can you go wrong with that? Available at www.HairgumUSA.com

3) Royal Crown Pomade: One, if not, THEE pomade that keeps Elvis-Pompadour-Enthusiasts in limbo, it's hard to not have a tin or five in hand! With many pomades getting heavier and heavier, light and greasy pomades are being left behind. Think about it folks, if quite possibly Elvis used it, why shouldn't we! Being thicker, with a much more pleasant scent than its readily available counterpart- Royal Crown Hairdressing- Royal Crown Pomade is definitely the better of the two to pick up. Unfortunately, it's not often you will see the pomade next to the hairdressing. So when you come across it, BUY IT!

4) Grant's Golden Brand: Now, I'm not going to get into the whole, "water-based pomades are not grease!!!" Well, no shit. Grease + Water = DUH. But, Grant's has been one brand that doesn't only offer a range of water-based pomades, but amazing customer service. It's hard to go wrong with either of their products. Plus, they keep moving forward, and have more products on the way! Check em out at www.GrantsGoldenBrand.com

5) Tres Flores: As I've mentioned- light and greasy pomades are being left behind, and Tres Flores is one of them! While it leaves some with a bad taste in their mouths, it leaves many with fond memories of their fathers and grandfathers, barbershops, or even sketchy times... You know who you cats are! This stuff is as close to a classic pomade as you're going to get, aside from Royal Crown, of course.) Light, relatively thick, and most definitely greasy, this stuff is definitely worth having on hand, even if you just use it to add shine to a heavier pomade. Should be found at Mexican markets, CVS, or Asian Supermarkets.

Well, folks, I hope you enjoyed this little tidbit of my go-to's. Hopefully, you'll add some of these to your rotation and find some joy in em.
Until the next time,
Pomp Hard!
- Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment